Building a deck? Planting a tree? Installing a mailbox? 811 is the new number you should call before you begin any digging project.
A new, federally-mandated national “Call Before You Dig” number, 811 was created to help protect you from unintentionally hitting underground utility lines while working on digging projects. People digging often make risky assumptions about whether or not they should get their utility lines marked due to concerns about project delays, costs, and previous calls about other projects. These assumptions can be life threatening.
Every digging job requires a call – even small projects like planting trees or shrubs. If you hit an underground utility line while digging, you can harm yourself or those around you, disrupt service to an entire neighborhood, and potentially be responsible for fines and repair costs.
Smart digging means calling 811 before each job. Whether you are a homeowner or a professional excavator, one call to 811 gets your underground utility lines marked for FREE!!
What everyone should know about Natural Gas Safety
- Natural Gas supplies one-third of the nation’s energy.
- Natural Gas, like all forms of energy and like many other products found in the home, is capable of doing damage and MUST be used properly.
- Natural Gas has a better safety record than any other form of energy.
- Natural Gas alone won’t burn or explode…it needs the right amount of air and an ignition source.
- Natural Gas is NOT poisonous! Carbon Monoxide (co) is usually the cause of “GAS” poisonings reported in the news. Natural Gas contains NO carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide can be produced by incomplete combustion of any fuel.
Gas appliances, equipment, and transmission lines are safe and are constantly being tested and improved. However, it is possible through misuse or accident to have a Gas Leak, and Remember—the potential danger from a gas leak is FIRE or EXPLOSION! Your senses can help you to discover a gas leak by Smell, Sight, Touch, and Hearing.
So, if you discover a Gas Leak, As Always…
If you smell the distinctive odor added to gas for safety, investigate, it may only be an unlighted pilot or burner. If the odor is strong indoors or out, be extra careful. Don’t strike a match, turn a light switch on or off, start a car or do anything to cause a spark. Leave immediately and call New Albany Light, Gas & Water or your local police or fire department.
If Yes To Any Questions Below
- Is there a strong odor?
- Do you hear gas blowing/leaking?
- Are you aware of any damage to the gas line?
- Are you feeling dizzy, faint, or ill?
Do not operate electrical switches, operate light switches, or light matches. Lay down the phone, DO NOT hang up the phone nor use it again. Leave the premises, but be available for our service person. After evacuation, locate to a safe distance beyond the affected structure. Keep a safe look out as you leave the premises. Watch for traffic at street, sidewalks and driveways.
Please follow these simple guidelines and allow New Albany Light, Gas & Water to continue providing you safe, dependable service.
REMEMBER…..Natural gas is not dangerous, but its MISUSE is!
Safety Rules for Appliances and Equipment
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for operation and care of equipment
- Teach children that they are not to turn on or light appliances
- Keep combustibles away from any open flame
- Keep burning surface clean
- Have approved fire extinguishers and know how to use them
- If lighting is required always light match first and hold it at point of lighting BEFORE you turn on gas
- Repair and installation is a job for experts—never attempt to do it yourself
- Have effective flues
- If the flame goes out shut the gas off
- Don’t purchase so-called “gas saving” devices
- Use equipment for the job it was designed to do
- Look for the Blue Star seal—your assurance that equipment design meets national safety standards
- Slight: Hold under cold running water or in ice water until pain stops
- Get Medical Aid
- cut away loose clothing
- cover burned area & around it with sterile dressing
- treat patient for shock
- NEVER use iodine, cotton, grease, or oil on burns!
- get medical aid
- keep victim warm
- loosen clothing
- place head lower than feet
- give water if victim is conscious, is not nauseated, has no penetrating abdominal wound
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- get into fresh air
- lay person down
- if not breathing, give CPR
- call fire department
- call doctor
- treat for shock
Still have questions?
TVA provides regulatory oversight for your Local Power Company’s rates and service practices.
If you have an issue or complaint that you have not been able to resolve with your Local Power Company, TVA’s Complaint Resolution Process may be able to help.
There are three ways to begin the process: